Functions of OSMEP:
- To be Thailand’s Key Policy Maker on SMEs Promotion and Central Agency to Coordinate All Working Systems to Propel the SMEs Promotion Work.
- Formulating SMEs Promotion Master Plan and SMEs Promotion Action Plan and producing policy recommendations for the improvement of laws and regulations in concern with the SMEs.
- Propelling, supporting and developing the SME promotion systems and integrating the SME promotion works of all public and private agencies, domestically and internationally, to ensure their accomplishment in line with the SMEs Promotion Master Plan and the SMEs Promotion Action Plan.
- Developing SME knowledge and database to support SME policy recommendations and SME promotion work.
- Administering the SMEs Promotion Fund so as to be a tool for an effective SME promotion.
Background of OSMEP:
The Office of SMEs Promotion (OSMEP) was established by the SMEs Promotion Act, B.E. 2543 (2000) with the status of a governmental agency under the supervision of 2 boards as follows:
The National Board of SMEs Promotion is responsible for stipulating SME promotion policies and plans and supervising OSMEP’s work. The Board is chaired by the Prime Minister with the Deputy Prime Minister for Economics assigned to perform on his behalf. The Director General of OSMEP is the Board’s Committee and Secretary.
The Executive Board of the Office of SMEs Promotion is responsible for formulating OSMEP’s administrative policy and controlling, supervising as well as taking charge of OSMEP businesses. The Permanent Secretary of the Industry Ministry is the Chairman of the Executive Board while the Director General of OSMEP is its Committee and Secretary.
Starting its operation on 15th November 2001, OSMEP was at first located on the 2nd floor of the Department of Industrial Promotion at 75/6 Rama VI Road, Ratchathewi District, Bangkok 10400 before the relocation to TST Tower on Vibhavadi Rangsit Road since 14th December 2001.